Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Federal Scene

Yesterday, I attended the office opening for our Federal New Democrat candidates Bev Collins [Cariboo-Prince George], and Betty Bekkering [PG-Peace River].
It was a good opening, and I am certainly excited about the New Democrats prospects in this federal election. During my "speech" [really, it was just a friendly hello], I mentioned the lack of action from the Conservative Party of Canada - particularily in their soft-wood lumber agreement.
Frankly, the people of the North Cariboo deserve more than to be sold out by the likes of Dick Harris. Despite the monies promised to help those most critically affected by the mountain pine beetle infestation - compounded by the softwood lumber "deal" - the federal government has simply not delivered on their promises.
I hope this election brings light to issues that matter to Northern communities, and I encourage everyone to be vigilent in questioning your candidates on issues like carbon taxation, softwood lumber, affordability, and creating a stronger economy.
Meanwhile, outside of the hub-bub of the federal scene, my office is always open and available to residents of the North Cariboo. So please, come by anytime.

No comments: